I was flipping through the pages of this month's Elle the other day, when I got to my favorite part of the magazine: Ask E.Jean. If you aren't familiar with E.Jean, become acquainted. She's amazing, and one of the reasons why I subscribe to Elle in the first place. I love her column, and her witty responses always leaving me thinking, "Now why didn't I think of that?"
One particular piece of advice that I connected to this time, was when a reader asked E.Jean is she had any advice for a young girl who just landed her first great job in the city. I don't necessarily agree with all of her advice (i.e. #10 & #11), but hey that's why she call it "15 Totally Indispensable Rules-With Which You May Totally Dispense":
1. Make mistakes as quickly as you can, and move on.
2. Don't worry is you meet a man who is too good for you.
3. If you're having trouble choosing between two paths, take the one that's more life enhancing, even if it's more dangerous.
4. When out for dinner with the girls, slather butter on your bread and declare: "The New York Times says, 'Overweight people live longer.'"
5. Dress how you wish to be dealt with.
6. Speak up for the helpless.
7. If you tweet that you're having a bad day, you will have a bad day.
8. Never waste time looking for a job when you can invent your job.
9. Gaze up at the Milky Way. It will put your tiny apartment into perspective.
10. It's not when you're relaxing on a beach that life is best--it's when you're pushing yourself to the limit.
11. Forget the driveling lunatics who are advising you to "declutter." If Alexander Fleming's lab hadn't been so untidy, he's never have discovered penicillin.
12. If have an affair with a spiritual dude, it will end with him asking for money.
13. Laugh at the girls who carry handbags as status symbols. Everyone knows it's the shoes.
14. The creation of the world happens every morning when you get out of bed.
15. When you're at last certain that the guy you've met is "the one," you'll be wrong 87 percent of the time.