Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Passover Apricot Macaroons

Happy Passover to all my jewish friends and family! Every year, Passover always seems to come to quickly and to be honest, I dread this holiday. Its not because I can't eat  bread ( after dieting for the half-marathon, I can totally deal with the carb cutting), rather the constant question of what am I going to eat today? Between no bread/grains, corn syrup, and legumes (c-ya corn, black bean, and roasted red pepper salsa that I LOVE!), it gets pretty tricky to plan my meals. Don't get me wrong, my mom is an AMAZING cook and knows how to make this holiday bearable, so thanks mom for being great!

This year, since I am living home instead of being in Rhode Island like I have been for the past 4 years, I have actually been able to hang out in the kitchen with my mom to learn a few of her tricks and family recipes. A Passover staple in my house has always been apricot and chocolate chip macaroons, so I would love to share this special family recipe with you. It was my Nana Molly's recipe, so this is very near and dear to my mom's heart. These little suckers are so delish and the perfect snack for anyone with a sweet tooth!











Follow my Nana Molly's recipe for Passover yumminess...

Ingredients:

12 apricots (you can substitute chocolate chips if desired!)
4 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 lb coconut
2 tbs cake meal

1. Preheat oven to 325*. Place apricots in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Drain apricots and split in half.

2.Beat egg whites with sugar on high until stiff. Add coconut and cake meal and mix thoroughly.

3. Place a teaspoon of the mix on cookie sheet and place an apricot in the center and then cover with more of the mixture.

4. Bake for 10 minutes and cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment