Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

I'm Thankful



Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Not because I can stuff myself with lots of yummy food and not feel guilty (although that is sooooo fabulous), but because it reminds me of everything that I am and everything that I have. We all seem to get caught up in our crazy lives and we tend to forget the importance of everyday life.

My best friend lost her life two years ago after surviving a horrific accident she lived through when we were freshmen in high school. She was the first friend that I ever made on my own in school (we were just in kindergarten when we met) and she was the sweetest and the kindest. I don't talk about her much because it still hurts to know that she is no longer with us, but on days like today, I am thankful for the strength that she has given me. While she may not have known it, she's taught me to be thankful for all that I have. Life is precious, and I cherish mine every day. I miss you and think about you everyday... I love you Rena.

Thanksgiving brings me back to reality (down from this crazy world of material things and the 'I wants' and 'I needs') and allows me to really appreciate all that I have. I am 23-years-old and I have an amazing job (in a field that I've always wanted to explore) that I worked really hard to get. It may be frustrating at times, but if there weren't any challenges I wouldn't grow and prosper as a human being. I have an amazing family who is always here to support me no matter what. We may bicker and fight and get mad at each other (we are all pretty strong headed), but at the end of the day our love for each other is stronger than words can say. I am in love with a guy who I trust my whole heart with and who I know will always have my back. He's been there for me through so many life changing moments and he always supports me (<3 you Nick!). My friends are so amazing and I love them all so dearly even though I may not see all of them as often as I'd like (that's what makes the reunions so special though!). The rest of the material objects-like the shoes and the bags and the clothes- as fabulous as they are, they are just things. Pretty things, that I'm of course always thankful for, but at the end of the day, they're just things. Sometimes, there are more important things in life than the new Prada heels that I'm dying to have...and I'm thankful that I have those things to keep me grounded.

Take a moment and reflect on all that you have and be thankful for it. That's what today is all about after all. 

Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment